Saturday, July 16, 2011

"Special Moment"

I must admit I was let down when we landed in Kenya last night. I was hoping to have this “special moment” when I stepped off the plane. It was 9 PM, dark and it seemed like I just landed in another regular city. We quickly found our friends who came in a couple of hours ahead of us and made our way to the visa line. Paid my $50 bucks, got my visa and my stamp for entry! Bag claim was pretty efficient, all bags for the entire group were here. As soon as we went outside our driver found us. It was chaos with all the taxi drivers and car hires. People were bartering transportation to hotels and for safaris. You could make out a few words of Swahili that were flying all around us, “Jambo” (Hello!)and others. The group quickly split into the 2 vans as the drivers loaded the luggage and we were off.
The Adventist Guest House we stayed at on Thursday night was simple yet comfortable. Two beds, mosquito nets and hot water. After a quick shower I crashed hard. Adaire made sure that we were mosquito free with the spray and the nets positioned perfectly. Although we are off by 8 hours with the time difference and have been traveling for 20+ hours I was up early ready to take on this first day in Nairobi. I could here the rest of the group moving around in the room next door. I got up, got dressed and prepared my camera for the day. We were scheduled to for a full day of tours in Nairobi before flying to the coastal city of Mombassa on Friday night. Thats where are service work is going to be done.
After a good Adventist veggie breakfast we loaded up the vans and were off to the giraffe centre. I grabbed shotgun with camera in hand and took in the sights of daily life as people moved around at 9AM on a Friday. 



That “special moment” is now brewing within me. The sun is shinning and the sights, sounds and smells are like none ever experienced! PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE! Cars are choosing there own plight as the traffic signals were mere suggestions rather than law. Lots of people are walking to their destinations and street vendors were everywhere.
Our driver was very excited to have a load of first timers as he answered my rapid fire of questions. When? Where? Why? Who?
The giraffe centre was a once in a lifetime experience. My description of the experience would not give it justice so check out the photo’s instead. There is a video as well. Next stop was the Elephant orphanage. This sanctuary rescues orphaned elephants whose parents were victims of poaching or death by illegal snares to protect farms. As we were standing in a roped off field waiting to see what was to come, far off in the distance comes a man running down a path with nine baby elephants following. It looked as if they were playing follow the leader or follow the surrogate parent. The elephants and all their personality actually resembled a real child, except for the trunks and large size. The smallest elephant, who we found out was orphaned by a illegal snare set by a farmer and then attacked with a machete, fell in a deep mud puddle as the others blew past him in search of sweet milk. The crowds laughter seemed to embarrass the elephant as the handler had to assist him out of the puddle. His body language was just like a humans. We took so many pictures but there was one special picture my wife took of me as I was staring at the valley below, I was having my “special moment”... I am in Africa!!!!!


Written by: Ben Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment